Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tutorial Wrapped Scallop

After posting My Prince Charming posted Jan. 5, 2008, you requested a tutorial for this "Wrapped Scallop" technique. Here is a quick one I threw together. Another finished project is shown below this tutorial. Now, bear with my pictures I was taking them quickly before my batteries died! Read through the tutorial for understanding before attempting this. It's yet another tricky one to explain. (As always click images to view larger). TIP: Hold your string firmly in place at the left so it doesn't unravel on you. Enjoy...

Items required: Scallop Punch & approx. 20 Inches of Thin string should be plenty

Start with any scalloped shape. For this one I am using a SU punch while I wait for my Marvy ones from The Angel Company™ to arrive. The Marvy ones are a bit bigger allowing you to layer a stamped image more clearly in your circle(IMHO). (See My Prince Charming Post)

Begin by selecting the scallop punch you wish to work with and the thin string, floss, jewelry string... whatever you choose. Next, adhere the string to the back to keep it firmly in place. Here I chose tape..:)








Flip your scallop over face up and pull string to the front through a scallop notch. Starting from your string beginning position, count over 5 or 6 scallops to the right depending on the size of your punch. (shown here 5) Bring your string over and insert it around the scallop notch that is the 5 away and loop it around.(Figure to left) After you loop this around, bring it around the back and position it to the next scallop notch that is to the right of your beginning point.




After your string is looped on notch to the right of your beginning notch, bring your string across to the opposite side one notch to the right of the last scallop notch you did. Next, loop your string around the back to the right of your last notch on the other side. The picture to the left shows what your punch will look like at this point





Keep repeating this process and it should look something like this picture. Repeat this process over and over, going from the left side to right adding a notch at each point, around the back and repeat.







Repeat, repeat, repeat still across to the next notch,wrap around, over to the next notch, wrap around, across to the next notch, wrap around, over to the next notch, across...(Understand?) and you will end at your beginning notch, adhere to the back and trim your string. This is best adhere with pop dots or glue dots since the string does not lie flat. Viola..it's done.That was easy, wasn't it?




Of course I had to post a finished card showing how I finished my Scallop. Here, since the SU punch is much smaller than the Marvy Scallops, I embellished with a Prima Flower and a sequin in the middle of the scallop. This is placed over Swirls from TAC's Summer Elegance and Black ribbon layered on red, then black cardstock. The sentiment is from TAC's Be Authentic.





Here is a closer look at how I finished this one. Endless possibilities!!!

13 comments:

Tracey said...

Thanks for sharing this technique Alison it looks very effective.

~JULES~ said...

What a fab idea!
Thanks for sharing the technique with us all!

Carmen said...

Great idea, looks fabulous! Thank you very much for the tutorial!

My Paper World said...

It looks great! Thanks for sharing!

~KRISTY~ said...

THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL & WHAT AN AWESOME EFFECT IT HAS! LOVE THE FROGGY AS WELL.

Littlekel90 said...

That is really very COOL! Thanks for sharing that with us! I loved the tutorial. You did a fabulous job, Alison! :) Kelly P.S.--I will try and hold it down from now on *wink*

Seleise said...

Alison, You do the best tutorials! I love that technique. Reminds me of my childhood and the wire art we did back then. Great job!

Marcia said...

Thank you so much for sharing this technique. Gonna have to give this a whirl. Looks great

Marcia

Deb said...

Fantastic tutorial, thank you so much, it is so clear and easy to follow. I am definitely going to give this a go!

Kristine said...

Really pretty! LOVE the look of this. I'll have to try it. What string did you use...is it metallic? Kinda looks like thin silver wire. Anyway, looks FAB!!

Tickle Me Pink said...

What a fun new techique!! I love your watercolor card too and your prince charming is ADORABLE!! Looks like you've been busy ;D

Marjorie - SBS4

scrappernic said...

WHat a fun technique! I'm going to have to try this one :) Beautiful card too.

Theresa said...

Fun seems to be the word to describe your "wrapping"!!! And so right it is!
Fantastic!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin