Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Instructions to Make Your Own Felt Embellishments

I've seen many felt type embellishments lately. While I was at the craft store, I picked up some Glimmer Felt Sheets. These are approximately 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of a thicker felt that sparkle ranging from .79 to .99 (cents). I love sparkle as much as transparency!! Anyway, the embellishments I've seen cost much more and for flower ones I thought, I could make my own using my Big Shot. So, while I was on the phone with Tammy today we were discussing it and I tried it out. I told her I would quickly put something together to post for her. (She is a fun friend and fellow TAC Demo.)I think it is a wonderful idea if you have the die's you need to create them.

TIP: Think flowers, hearts, circles, holidays, balloons, ANYTHING.



Items Needed:
Big Shot (die cut machine)
Die (Here Sizzix Florals)
Felt (Here glittered)
Adhesive (any, I used Xyron machine)






Instructions: This is as simple as it gets! Place your felt in the desired machine and cut your shapes. Then, simply adhere to your project. I used my Xyron sticker machine. The fun part here is that I can prepare my die cut shapes and save them for later. (For this or any other project)

The photo below is a simply stampedbyanangel card showing the finished felt flowers! How fun is that? I used TAC's "BE" set for Tammy because she is so "quirky" with some Designer Series paper. If you notice the flowers, I finished one with a button and another with a little sequin.



NOTE:
After I did mine, my die was a bit fuzzy. For this reason, I don't know about trying it in a cricut. Although, if I try it or anyone does Please post.

Until next time...

25 comments:

Tammy said...

Alison, you are TOO funny! I got the quirkiness (is that a word?) from sniffing Staz-on! LOL Anyway, LOVE the card and homemade felt flowers - must try! The card turned out really cute, love the glitter in the felt too! Another fab card!

Linda said...

This is a neat idea. I don't have a die cut machine yet but I love my zyron machine. I will have to look for some sparkle and glitz tomorrow.

Carmen said...

Great idea, thank you very much for this tutorial.

Ila said...

I love those felt flowers ....what a great idea!

~KRISTY~ said...

LOVE YOUR NEW CARD ALISON,IM YET TO HAVE A PLAY WITH FELT!LOOKS LIKE FUN!

Kristine said...

WOW...CUTENESS!! :) Love that idea. I have a cuttlebug, so I wonder if that'll work for that. I don't have very large cutting dies though--just their smaller scallops and such. Great card! :) Thanks for sharing the info.

Tracey said...

Great card Alison and a great idea with the felt.

sparkplug17 said...

How fun! And super cute card!

Do you think I could do it with a cuttlebug?

sparkplug17 said...

I should of read all the comments, lol...I see someone already askes ya. :)

stampingbalou said...

Great idea - thanks a lot for it... I love your blog and I´m glad that carnival is ended now to have more time visiting your blog... Yours, Heike (SBS 4) xox

Diana said...

I love the felt look! and your card is awesome! I love the way we can do it with the Bigshot, so sad we do not carry anymore!

I do not know much about Cuttlebug, but as long as isn't the tiny ones it should work (with the bigshot you can't cut using the sizzlits!) Sorry my English is not that perfect!

Love,
Diana

Jane said...

Love how you finished the felt flowers...especially the button. I'll have to try that in my sizzix!

Jane
SBS4

Marlou said...

excellent idea and card!! love it, thanks for sharing and also your kind comment :) :)

Lisadwb said...

Oh my gosh, where do you come up with all of these awesome ideas?;-)
I too wish TAC still carried the Big Shot- I would love to get that new PINK one!

Ying Pang, said...

I wish that I have the cuttlebug to make all these fun stuff, thanks for the tutorials.

Kelly S said...

Love this! I'll have to try it with my CB. Beautiful!

Suzanne said...

Oohh good idea! I just got a Big Shot in Dec. and I had not thought of using for felt stuff.

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I love making my own embellishments with die cuts! The perfect stuff in just the right colors and you always have all that you need for a card or layout. What fun! We don't have a scrapbook or card making store in our town so I had to learn how...

Kristine said...

Hi Allison! I don't have a way to cut my own felt embies, but guess what?! My Secret Sis just sent me a bunch of red and pink felt flowers! Woohoo!! :) Can't wait to use them. Just had to share. Hope all is well with you! Haven't heard from you for a little while.
Kristine
SBS4

Seleise said...

these are darling flowers, Allison. what a great idea! And, the bequirky is the perfect finishing touch!

Yanitza Ramos said...

Thanks for the wonderful idea. Your card looks adorable!

stampingbalou said...

What a great idea - thanks so much...
Sister Heike ;o)

Ginger - Angel 1427 said...

Great idea. For those asking about the cuttlebug/sizzix/big shot. It's not the machine that makes the difference, it's the dies. You can cut felt, leather, thin metal, thin wood, chipboard and many more things with the THICK dies. The thin dies like sizzlits aren't for anything thicker than regular cardstock.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

~Jules~ said...

I love playing with felt too.
I use my cuttlebug to do what you have shown!
Your card is gorgeous!

Tickle Me Pink said...

You've been tagged! The rules of the game:

• Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
• Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog, we all want to know them.
• Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
• Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin