Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thinking Outside of the Box-Faux Hat Pin Tutorial



I Love coming up with ways to use things differently as my "faux bone-folder" idea that was/is a big hit. (See post under The Bone Folder or click here) I received a card for my birthday in April that used a SU's Hat Pin from one of their collections. Unfortunately, I can't locate the card to show you my inspiration but here is what I came up with.The items I used for this are: TAC's In Bloom Stamp Set
Palette Inks (The Rubber Stamper Magazine rated these most versatile yearly)
Beads
Jewelry Connectors (To create pin)
Ribbon
TAC Papers

Instructions: This is another Simply Stamped Basic layout. (Yes, simplystamped is so me) To create a Hat Pin I used jewelry connectors from the beading section at the local craft store. These come 86 pieces for around $2.99. My mini beads were also in the beading section and very affordable. You can create these pins for mere pennies compared to the $30 they retail for with some craft kits.

If you have any further questions as to what exactly these connectors are post or email me.


I would love to see how you implement these in your crafting! Please link to me if you recreate this or modify it on your own ! I love to share these wonderful money saving ideas and see how others use them. I find it flattering when I see these ideas re-created in projects and tutorials and I hope you enjoy them.



Personnal Note and Update on my blogging: I am in the midst of major life changes with hubby (Bob) retiring from the Navy in June. We will be relocating to Pennsylvania from Virginia and I have been trying to get things in order for that. This is why my posting has been limited and seldom. I hope to post at least bi-weekly or monthly until we are all settled. Thank you for your concern and encouragement!

13 comments:

BarbL said...

Now THAT is a FABULOUS idea!! Definitely will be casing that! One of my daughters loves beads so I have all the supplies!
Thanks for sharing!!
Barb

Ying Pang, said...

beautiful card, I love the pin, specially.

catt871 said...

What a great idea!!! LOVE the card!! Good luck with the move - you know we all understand that life sometimes gets in the way of our creativity!! LOL Good luck and have fun with the move!!!
Chris

Betty Giles said...

Oh, no-you can't go! Wow, this has been quite a year for me, stamping had to got to the back burner, and now you won't be around this summer...I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Good luck in PA-what part?

Betty

Allison said...

Love the pin and the rest of the card too! Great idea!

Seleise said...

this is a great idea! I have a bunch of beads and eye pins so I can't wait to try this. awesome card! And, the bone folder card is super too! TFS!

Tegan said...

lovely card!
the colours are amazing together :)

Lisadwb said...

Love the pin idea. Hmmm, I think I have all of the "ingredients." LOLI may have to try it, or at least put it on my To DO list. LOL

~KRISTY~ said...

THE PIN IS GORGEOUS THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL.

Littlekel90 said...

Hmm, great idea, Alison. Now I have to look for connectors in the jewelry section at ACMoore to try this out, too. Sounds very reasonable in price. How can I resist?! :)Kel

P.S.-- Hope the move goes smoothly for you all. The PA mountains should be nice and GREEN by then. It is really starting too look gorgeous around here.

Marcia said...

What a great idea, one I would never have thought of. I am all about saving money, so thanks for the tip! Good luck with the moving, hope it goes well.

Tickle Me Pink said...

Love the colors and design of this card ^_~ Very sweet!

Kimi said...

Love your ideas! I wanted to add one to this particular tip for making faux hat pins...add an earring back to the bottom tip as an added touch. (not the kind that looks like a "B" when turned sideways, but the kind that looks a little like a cone shape) You can add a bit of glue if you want to permanently secure it if you want. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin