Wednesday, June 11, 2008

3 Great Uses for Plastic Canvas (Tutorial)



I've been using plastic canvas forever for various things as in my March 17 post. I decided while creating a Birthday card today and using this technique to create a brief picture tutorial for a few of it's uses. Plastic canvas is very inexpensive and comes in square and circular shapes. Here I am using the square and the card below uses both square, circle and all these techniques.


1. Create fun faux stitched holes using the plastic canvas with your paper piercing tool. Lay your plastic canvas on top of your project. Line it up and poke holes using your paper piercing tool. It's that simple and easy!





2. Create faux stitching with a marker, pen, etc. The same as above, merely line up your canvas and mark holes with your marker. You can coordinate your marker to the paper just as stitching matches material. (The photo below shows the finished first idea and the beginning of the second)



3. Lastly, use your plastic canvas for measuring. Here I used my plastic laid upon my cardstock to mark where to punch with my hole punch for brads! One can use this for eyelets and other embellishments.





Lastly, here is the picture of my finished sample piece, can you think of any other ideas to use it for? TIP: use it to create multiple layers of faux stitched corners!








Now, here is the card I was creating that inspired me to post a brief tutorial for a few uses for Plastic Canvas. First, a picture of supplies used. For the card, I cut my paper to size then using my large hole punch trimmed the corners to create the ticket punch look. Next, I used my paper piercer to poke holes in the desired pieces and stamped sentiment on the layered pieces. On the larger patterned paper I used a circular plastic canvas and marker to create the circle faux stitch. I then stamped on my card base the Salsa Flowers in Cognac. Lastly, assembled the card and attached the Bitty Blossom flower and bling.




Items Used:


Stamps: Contemporary Greetings (TAC Retired) & Salsa Flowers (TAC)


Papers: Cha Cha SWIC TAC™ Exclusive & Coordinating Cardstock


Embellishments: Bazzill Bitty Blossoms (AWeSOME FLOWERS)


Ink: Palette Cognac Miscellaneous: Hole Punches, Paper Piercer & Eyelets






15 comments:

Amie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

Looks great Alison...I'll make sure we link you up! Cheers!

Lisadwb said...

I wanted to tell you how pretty your card is, but I need to run to the trash can and grab the plastic canvas I tossed in there last night...............

catt871 said...

Very cool tutorial!! THANKS for sharing!! I think I need to go buy a circular piece now - I've just eyeballed it in the past and wasn't happy with it in the end!! THANKS!
Chris

Ginger - Angel 1427 said...

Great ideas - thanks. I guess I need to scrounge up a piece of that old plastic canvas from the "bad" room upstairs. Let me get this right - you are getting ready to move - and you are posting more than ever. I'm glad you are taking breaks!!

Emilia said...

these are great ideas! Thank you for sharing

"Jany" said...

Ohhhh how nice of you for sharing! My dear friend Diana (memory crafter) gave me a few plastic canvas and told me how to work with it. Just last night I started using them. I love the efect! What do I need the seewing machine for? I love this much more!

Vicki said...

I've been using plastic canvas for a piercing guide too! Especially love doing the circles!!!

Hope everything goes well with your move!

Marcia said...

Great tutorial, love the card!

Barb said...

this was a great tutorial, Alison! such a pretty card (and I love how you did the flower center).

Seleise said...

I love plastic canvas as a piercing tool and love, love, love, what you've done. awesome!

Jane said...

Cool! Did the circle canvas come as a circle or did you have to cut it out? I love that circular look. Love the card.

Jane
SBS4

Kariberry said...

Nice blog!! Thanks for the tip on the canvas circle. I've only used it stright for lines/holes. Did you cut it that way?

Mahmood said...

Fabulous tutorial its have some valuable material for greeting card designers.
Plastic Business Cards
Plastic Card printing

Alastairanson said...

They accept a beyond threading eye and can be acclimated for low calculation fabrics such as 6 calculation or 11 count. Plastic canvas is addition use for them.

Needle Arts

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin